Monday, March 14, 2011

Knitting Women

I have been so busy (and sick) lately that I haven't had time to keep up with a lot of things I enjoy, including my favorite bloggers. Because of this, I've only just read Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's post for International Women's Day. In all honesty, I haven't read much about knitting for quite awhile, as peripheral neuropathy has made it difficult for me to do. But, I'm glad I happened to check in, because the post is fantastic (really, what are you still doing here, go read it).

I am a feminist, I refuse to be mealy-mouthed about my dedication to equality for all people. There are days when I just don't want to deal with it, and days that I screw up royally, but when it comes down to core beliefs, that's pretty much it for me. We are all vastly different, yet equally impressive.

I guess I just felt the need to say it, as I often forget that it is not something that is the default. I wish it were.  I would much rather think that everyone believes in equality, until proven otherwise. That's not how the world works, so I will declare that I am a feminist. If you catch me acting against the basic tenants of my belief in equality, or just acting like a general goon, I expect to be called on it. That's the only way it will get better, if we expose the issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment