Monday, June 13, 2011

Sally Hansen Crackle Overcoat Swatches and Review

I bought these before they were reviewed, because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to find them. Also, they were on sale. I have been a bit disappointed, but not enough to return them, and I think they may have grown on me. First, the negatives. The weird wrapper on the cap is dreadful, and turns around freely making it difficult to open and close the bottles. Some of my brushes were wonky, but nothing too bad. I have a MAC, that I paid serious cash for, that came with a brush that looked like it had a previous life in a kindergarten art class. Wonky brushes don't kill the deal for me, but this one tends to stick in weird positions, because the polish dries on it so quickly.

The real problem with these, the thing that can't really be fixed, is the formula. It is very thin, but also clumpy, like bad potato soup. Once I figured out how to apply them, it was okay, but with so many other crackle options, there is no need to have to try so hard.

I do like the jelly-like finish of Distressed Denim and Smashed Cherry, and neeeeded a gold crackle, so am glad to have Antiqued Gold, even if it is disappointing.

I was told that it was best to use a thick coat, so that's what I did in these first swatches. They are without topcoat, and over Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Jumpin' Jade.
Smashing Cherry and Distressed Denim


I was in a hurry to get these done, so I swatched on my right hand, which made for some awkward photography.

Vintage Violet and Antiqued Gold

I really wanted Antiqued Gold to be an old gold color, but it is a bright, silvery gold. When I first tried this, it barely cracked, so I did a little experiment to find the best application method.

L to R: one thin coat, one thick coat, slopped on in different directions, two
thin coats in quick succession (all over China Glaze Little Drummer Boy)


I tried thin coats with the others, as well, and compared Vintage Violet to similarly applied China Glaze Crackle Glaze Fault Line.

L to R: Fault Line, Vintage Violet, Smashed Cherry, Distressed Denim
(all over China Glaze For Audrey)
I am odd in that I prefer fewer, large cracks, like those in the Sally Hansens. These can be achieved with the China Glaze Crackle Glazes by applying a thicker coat, but I had a difficult time getting smaller cracks from the Sally Hansen Crackle Overcoat polishes.

Overall, these are a great drugstore option, but diehards will be disappointed. I am looking forward to picking up a gold crackle polish from the new China Glaze collection, or from Sephora by OPI. Until then, I will make do with my perfectly adequate Sally Hansen version.

No comments:

Post a Comment