Saturday, February 12, 2011

Happy Birthday, Chuck





Charles Robert Darwin was born 202 years ago today. I adore Darwin, not as the father of evolution (others would have, and did come to similar conclusions), but for his meticulous dedication to problems and ideas he found fascinating. Also, he was a bit of a failure at first, at least in the eyes of his father.

I've just started Brian Switek's Written in Stone, and plan to spend Mr. Darwin's birthday reading about the fossil record, and the people (men, I'm guessing) who shaped it. After, of course, I hear Alan Bean  speak at the opening of the NASA/Art exhibit at the Clay Center.

Happy Darwin Day




I'm pretty sure he would have appreciated my overuse of Piknik stickers in decorating his portrait. Darwin was nothing if not festive.





No comments:

Post a Comment